The high level:
The Revenue Accounting Manager is a new role best suited for an experienced accounting professional who is detail-oriented, hands-on, results-driven with proven communication skills and a strong work ethic to work in a challenging, fast-paced, nonprofit environment. This person is responsible for the timely and accurate reporting of all revenue, including, but not limited to: temporarily restricted, government, and unrestricted grants as well as deferred revenue, all private donations, other grant awards, and fee for service (FFS) from school partners. This person is also responsible for ensuring revenue is posted to the GL accurately and documented within the Reading Partners CRM (Salesforce) in full accordance with GAAP. The Revenue Accounting Manager will report to the Controller.
If you’re looking to apply your vast knowledge of accounting to help a growing nonprofit help more students learn to read, please read on!
About Reading Partners:
Reading Partners mobilizes communities to provide students with the proven, individualized reading support they need to read at grade level by fourth grade.
Reading Partners knows that reading is the foundation for all future learning, and the ability to read transforms lives and empowers children and communities to reach their full potential. Research shows that students who read at grade level by fourth grade have a greater opportunity to succeed in school and in life.
That’s why they partner with under-resourced schools and engage volunteer reading partners to work one-on-one with students who struggle with reading.
An evidence-based and community-driven organization, they recruit and train volunteers to work one-on-one with students for 45 minutes twice a week, following a structured, research-based curriculum.
The Reading Partners program model works and is backed by evidence-based research which proves that their students make significant gains in reading. On average, Reading Partners’ students more than double their rate of learning while in the program.
What you’ll do:
- Ensure accurate and timely revenue recognition
- Coordinate the daily operations related to revenue recognition and establish regular and effective communication channels with designated program and development colleagues.
- Manage the weekly processing of cash receipts and recording of revenue.
- Prepare detailed revenue analysis, reconciliations and budget-to-actual variance reports.
- Ensure all revenue and related accounts are posted to the GL accurately and in accordance with GAAP.
- Perform monthly close tasks associated with revenue including the preparation of various reconciliations, deferred revenue roll forward, monthly revenue journal entries and monthly revenue related analysis.
- Monitor accounts receivable and ensure timely processing in system to ensure all documentation is in compliance with company policy and all rules/ regulations set forth by our contracts.
- Assist in preparation of monthly management reports.
- Maintain and analyze accounting records.
- Assist with the preparation of accounting schedules, reports and financial statements monthly and as requested by senior leadership.
- Manage all private and foundation grants and ensure they’re booked according to the conditions stipulated in the contract.
- Ensures all monthly invoices are submitted to various grants, contracts and governmental agencies as well as all reimbursement invoices.
- Track all in-kind gifts.
- Assist in ensuring a constant state of annual fiscal and funder audit readiness through clean and accurate coding, tagging and reporting.
- Ensure direct expenses tagged to municipal grants/ contracts are allowable and compliant under contract/ grant provision.
- Partner with Finance/ Accounting colleagues and other business partners
- Ensure GL records and internal CRM database (Salesforce) are congruent.
- Work closely with external audit team regarding all quarterly review and annual audit requirements.
- As needed, may help with bookkeeping operations and assist in the day-to-day delivery of the organization’s main accounting policies, procedures and contracts.
- Process improvement
- Regularly audit all current practices to assess their effectiveness and efficiency.
- Revise current practices to ensure best in class service and performance as it pertains to revenue activities and reporting.
- Ensure all internal policies and procedures are practical and realistic. Ensure best practices are documented and in full effect at Reading Partners.
- Assist in process improvements to further streamline revenue tasks and shorten revenue close calendar.
- Other duties as needed
How you’ll do it:
- Relationship Development & Communication: You establish great working relationships with internal and external stakeholders, including staff, external constituents, as well as board members. You are able to open doors, make connections, tell a compelling story through the use of data, and create pathways to ensure financial sustainability in literacy education within a very competitive market. You are an effective communicator and a natural “connector”, and you have a track record of successfully establishing rapport quickly and maintaining relationships, even at a distance.
- Strategic Leadership & Execution: You develop and design new strategies and approaches to meet goals and then lead implementation of those strategies. You bring a systems perspective to organizational challenges, with the ability to effectively move from vision to strategy to plan to execution while managing multiple work streams and demonstrating exceptional project management instincts. You are creative and are a thoughtful decision-maker. You are comfortable partnering with others to problem-solve, and you use clear and strategic processes in making decisions. In addition, you have professional experience both developing and executing strategy to optimize organizational processes and achieve ambitious goals.
- People Management: You have a track record of leading teams to excellence. You demonstrate a genuine interest in coaching, inspiring, and developing staff toward the successful achievement goals. You are skilled at providing clear direction, guidance and goals, delegating effectively, and providing growth opportunities while supporting progress along the way. Support staff and enable them to build and maintain successful relationships with a wide array of colleagues at a distance.
You’ll be successful in this role if you:
- Possess robust and relevant job experience in roles with increasing responsibility; nonprofit experience strongly desired
- Have experience managing a team
- Display strong analytical, problem solving and decision-making skills
- Possess detailed working knowledge of GAAP
- Demonstrate excellent verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills; able to successfully convey accounting concepts to non-accounting colleagues
- Able to adapt to changing organizational needs and priorities and juggle multiple projects while meeting deadlines
- Demonstrate strategic and analytical thinking abilities and strong problem-solving skills
- Exhibit excellent professional judgment
- Knowledge of financial planning software (e.g. Adaptive, Hyperion, Cognos) strongly preferred; familiarity with Salesforce a plus
- Boast a deep belief in our mission
- Root your work in our core values
- Approach your work with pride and have fun while doing it
- Actively seek professional and personal growth opportunities
- Hold US Citizenship or Permanent Resident Status
- Hold a bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, Economics or equivalent experience; CPA a plus
Bonus points if you:
- Have experience with federal grant accounting, specifically multiple cost reimbursement grants.
- Are an AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, or other national service alum/alumna
- Have experience working in launch or growth phases of organizations
What Reading Partners offers:
Reading Partners offers the full package – great benefits, a great place to work and the opportunity to have a glowing and growing career.
- Reading Partners offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience. This is a full time, exempt, salaried position.
- They offer a rich suite of health, welfare, and lifestyle benefits, including medical, dental, vision, paid time off, commuter benefits, referral bonuses, 403(b) option, and more.
- They offer an exciting and dynamic culture, and commit to investing in and supporting their amazing people to grow their careers with Reading Partners. As such, they provide ongoing professional development opportunities.
The other things you need to know:
- Location: This position is located at Reading Partners’ National Headquarters in Oakland, CA. No remote work options available.
- Typical Physical & Mental Demands: Requires prolonged sitting with some bending, stooping and stretching, and eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity sufficient to operate a keyboard, telephone, photocopier, calculator and other office equipment. Requires normal range of hearing and eyesight to communicate with volunteers and staff. Also requires flexibility to readily adapt to a changing environment.
If you are interested in joining the Reading Partners team, kindly submit your resume, as well as a cover letter describing your interest in Reading Partners and how your past experience has prepared you for this role. Please include your salary needs. Send both documents to Cindy Joyce at email@example.com.
Reading Partners respects and honors the diversity in their workforce, and they are an Equal Opportunity Employer.