Pillar Search is pleased to continue its ongoing partnership with Year Up, having been selected to manage their search for the Director of Business Development. For more information on this exciting opportunity, please contact Pillar Search’s CEO, Cindy Joyce, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Do you have a passion for creating opportunities for urban young adults? The Director of Business Development, part of the National Capital Region team, will be located in Arlington, VA. This is an ideal opportunity for a candidate with proven ability to help customers solve their business challenges in the areas of workforce management, human capital, and/or talent acquisition. Reporting to the Regional Director of Corporate Engagement, the Director of Business Development will be responsible for identification, qualification and closing of internship and permanent job opportunities for Year Up program participants.
Year Up is an award-winning national 501(c)3 organization striving to close the Opportunity Divide by providing urban young adults ages 18-24 with the skills, experience, and support that will empower them to reach their potential through professional careers and higher education. Through a one-year intensive training program, these young adults complete a unique combination of rigorous, hands-on technical and professional skills training, college credit. and corporate internships. With an annual operating budget of $90 million, Year Up annually serves over 2,700 students nationwide.
Year Up takes three approaches to closing the Opportunity Divide. Their core sites are based on their founding program model – direct service programming where facilities, staff, infrastructure, academics, and all other aspects of the program are managed by Year Up staff. The Professional Training Corps (PTC) is a community college based model that provides an opportunity for students to engage in meaningful workforce training. In this model, students are dual-enrolled in the community college and Year Up; technical skills are taught by college faculty, while Year Up staff provide professional skills and other wrap-around services. Lastly, their Employer Based Solutions are created in collaboration with employer partners; custom solutions are developed to meet critical business needs and solve for skills gap challenges in the marketplace.
Consistently voted one of the Best NonProfits to Work For by The NonProfit Times, Year Up is a rewarding place to work. Their staff is passionate, supportive, mission-driven, and committed to positive change and continuous learning. Year Up sets high standards for both themselves and their students, and live by a set of core values that reflect an unshakable belief in the talent and full potential of our young adults. The work they do is life-changing, and they know that their team is the greatest asset in achieving their mission.
The Director of Business Development is a key member of the Corporate Engagement team of Year Up, connecting top corporations in need of entry-level talent with trained, high-potential urban young adults. The Director of Business Development will have tangible targets in developing leads, following up on leads, closing sales, managing client accounts and relationships, and ensuring that interns continue to perform and develop their professional skills.
The successful candidate will be a polished self-starter who can drive efforts, has a proven track record of success and can lay a strong foundation for securing and sustaining high numbers of internships, as well as providing a high-quality program of support and professional development for Year Up interns, and will be able to leverage existing and new resources in the city and the surrounding areas. The ideal candidate will likely also have demonstrated consultative sales/solutions selling experience, exhibiting great confidence and flexibility in high-paced, start-up environments.
In keeping with Year Up’s values, the Director of Business Development will also have the opportunity to interact with students, participating in creating and sustaining a positive educational environment.
Corporate Sales and Partner Relations
- Successfully meet revenue and internship seat goals by generating a scalable corporate partner pipeline and developing a sales strategy that will secure internships in volume
- Conduct research and market analysis to identify and pursue possible new partnerships in existing and emerging market sectors
- Manage all aspects of corporate partner communications strategies and provide responsive and high-quality customer service.
Program Development Input
- Work with curriculum development, program staff, and internship partners to collect requirements and feedback to support the identification of courses that will ensure participants are well-prepared for success in the workplace and in pursuit of higher education goals both as Year Up interns and alumni
- Coordinate with accounts to strategically match students, train managers, conduct site visits and execute corporate partner panels.
- Ensure that a high support, high expectation, high service model is integrated into an entrepreneurial start-up environment
- In a collaborative environment, provide coaching and support to team members to ensure internship seat and revenue goals are met
- Display a willingness to “get things done” while cultivating and sustaining a trusting and nurturing environment for staff and key stakeholders
- At least 10-15 years’ years of professional experience preferred
- 7+ years of experience in consultative solution sales strongly preferred; all, or the majority, should be in the local region
- Experience working with C-Suite clients
- Background/experience selling staffing, recruiting or other human capital related services
- In depth knowledge of the local corporate landscape and employment trends
- Ability to leverage existing relationships in the local business community and demonstrated ability in navigating complex organizations
- Demonstrated ability to generate leads, build and maintain a pipeline, and close sales
- Documented strengths in meaningful relationship building, management and growth
- Strong attention to detail and managing of the sales pipeline process
- Ability to collaborate across teams to support students and resolve issues
- Enjoy working in a fluid, dynamic organization with a minimal amount of direction
- Ability to plan, introduce and lead a process that enables high quality growth
- Exemplary skills in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint and Outlook and Excel required
- Knowledge of Salesforce.com preferred
- A passion for working with urban young adults, an unshakable belief in their potential and a strong commitment to the mission of Year Up
- Understanding of the Opportunity Divide and its drivers
- Commitment to diversity and inclusion
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS:
- Salary: Competitive and commensurate with education and experience
- Benefits: Competitive package including 100% healthcare coverage, dental, and 401(k) match
- Vacation: Three weeks paid vacation in first year of employment; four weeks after initial year
- Professional development: Funds available to support staff in achieving career objectives
Please visit http://www.yearup.org to learn more about working at Year Up. Year Up is an inclusive organization and offers a culture that is welcoming to all.
HOW TO APPLY:
Qualified professionals who are excited by the work of Year Up are encouraged to submit a thoughtful cover letter and resume to Cindy Joyce, CEO of Pillar Search, at email@example.com. Please note that applications without a cover letter will not be considered for this position.